A 32-year-old Kalamazoo man is recovering in the hospital after being shot twice in the arm during an afternoon altercation at a local business, and police are actively searching for the suspect.
The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety said officers responded to a business on the 1100 block of Douglas Avenue around 2 p.m. Sunday, May 17, after receiving reports of a fight and shots being fired.
A victim expected to recover
Before officers arrived on scene, dispatchers learned that someone had been shot and was already being transported to the hospital.
The victim, a 32-year-old man, sustained two gunshot wounds to his arm. Police listed him in stable condition and said he is expected to recover.
"The 32-year-old man had two gunshot wounds to his arm. He was expected to recover, per police."
SWAT team searches nearby home
Detectives launched an immediate search for the suspect. The Kalamazoo Metro Special Weapons and Tactics Team executed a search at a residence in the 900 block of Douglas Avenue, just two blocks south of the shooting scene near Blakeslee Street.
The search did not result in an arrest. The suspect remains at large as of Monday morning.
Authorities have not released the suspect's name pending the authorization of charges from the Kalamazoo County Prosecutor's Office.
Police ask for public help
The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety is asking anyone with information about the shooting or the suspect's whereabouts to come forward.
Contact options include:
- Criminal Investigations Division at (269) 337-8139
- Kalamazoo Silent Observer for anonymous tips at (269) 343-2100
This is the second shooting reported in Kalamazoo in recent weeks. On May 7, two teenagers were hospitalized after a shooting in Kalamazoo's Northside neighborhood.
